When it comes to kitchen appliances, garbage disposals are one of the handiest. But if used incorrectly or not maintained, you could end up with a costly repair on your hands. Brick Street Services provides help with your garbage disposal in Frederick, MD, if you have a problem. Here are some things you can do to avoid many of those issues.
Tips to Keep Your Garbage Disposal in Good Working Order
One of the most important things you can do is watch what you put down the disposal. Garbage disposals are intended for food scraps, so do not use them for non-food items, grease, or bones. Meat scraps can bind up the mechanical parts. Foods that swell can increase clogs. Other tips include:
- Avoid large scraps. Only grind small pieces. Break up any large pieces you want to get rid of via the disposal.
- Keep it clean. After you run your disposal, put a small drop of dish detergent down it and flush well with cold water. Orange and lemon peels can help with bad smells, so run them through your unit periodically.
- Tip: Grind ice monthly to help keep blades sharp and remove waste from the sides.
- Use cold water when running the appliance. This helps oil and grease that is in the food from solidifying and causing clogs.
- Avoid chemical drain cleaners. If you have a clog or a problem, call a professional. Drain cleaners are not good for your garbage disposal.
Never put your hand down your garbage disposal to retrieve something without unplugging it first. If you need help with your garbage disposal in Frederick, MD, contact us at (301) 453-8659. We can install a new one, go over your current one, and do any needed repairs.