Air quality in a home is more important than many people realize. Indoor pollutants can impact your health in many different ways. Understanding what causes indoor air pollution can help provide the answers to preventing it to the best of your ability. At Brick Street Services, we understand the difference clean air can make to your home and provide air purifier installation in Frederick, MD.
What Causes Indoor Air Pollution?
Many things contribute to low air quality – dust, dander, pet hair – but five top contaminants can cause serious health issues. They are:
- Combustion Products – Gas-powered appliances such as dryers and furnaces. Can lead to CO2 build up if not ventilated properly
- Dust – Accumulates from dead skin cells, dander, dirt, and carpet fibers. HVAC filters are not changed often can contribute to the dust problem. Cause dust mites and allergies.
- Moisture – poorly ventilated bathrooms and other areas with excess moisture can lead to mold and mildew. Mold can cause all kinds of health concerns.
- Radon – This comes from the ground and can cause lung cancer if not prevented.
- VOCs – Volatile organic compounds emitted from building materials and furniture made with synthetic materials. It can cause permanent damage to the liver, nervous system, and kidneys.
What Can You Do to Improve Air Quality?
One of the best things you can do is have an air purifier installed. Make sure you have your HVAC system regularly inspected as well. Other things include:
- Exhaust fans in kitchens and bathrooms
- Radon detectors
- Watch for excess moisture
- Lots of green plants
If you are unsure what type of air purifier would be best for your home, contact Brick Street Services at (301) 453-8659. We offer air purifier installation in Frederick, MD, that is professional and affordable.